About Lethbridge Historical Society

The LHS strives to aid in the promotion and protection of Lethbridge's built heritage. The Society hopes to educate the public and continue the community memory on the past of Southern Alberta.

The Lethbridge Branch of the Historical Society of Alberta was first formed in 1888 as a Scientific and Historical Society. This group met bi-monthly where "papers" were read. The Society disappeared in the 1890's and then in 1923, due to the community's concern for marking the memory of Nicholas Sheran and other early mining pioneers, the Historical Society was reorganized. It disappeared again in 1928 but was resurrected in 1935 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Lethbridge. When the successful celebration ended, so did the historical organization.

In 1958, the Lethbridge City Council took the lead to get a Society organized as they were concerned at the lack of a museum and archives in the city and felt an historical society was the logical group to undertake development of such a facility. The Society was registered as The Whoop-Up Country Chapter of the Historical Society of Alberta. The organization was active in the Museum's development and its operation until 1972 when it became too much for volunteers to operate and manage.

In 1986 the Society felt that it should be reincorporated as a chapter of the Historical Society of Alberta. Our name changed to Lethbridge Historical Society at that time.

The Lethbridge Historical Society maintains a working relationship with the Sir Alexander Galt Museum & Archives. The Society maintains an office and its book inventory at the museum and our members volunteer on a regular basis.

Publishing is a special focus of chapter and has been a concentration for 35 years. 
More recently, the Lethbridge Historical Society has embarked on a program of placing plaques and monuments in Lethbridge and across southern Alberta to mark special buildings, sites and historic events and to honour important people of the past. The Society works with a number of public and private partners and is researching and placing 4 to 6 plaques per year.